For an interactive map; click here instead
The Nämdö archipelago includes hundreds of islands, islets and rocks. It covers an area from the south of Runmarö in the north, to Mörtö Bunsö in the south. The eastern border is the sea - the Baltic.
The main island Nämdö is about 7 km long and 2 km wide, and is located about 40 km east of Stockholm, linear distance.
About 100 people live here all year, about 35 of these on the main island, and the rest on the surrounding islands.
The "center" is located in Sand and Solvik, and includes library, hembygdsgård, muséum and church.
The convenience store "Guns Livs" in Solvik sells fuel. In high season there is a bistro.
Regular boats visits several jettys on Nämdö and on the surrounding islands.
A dirt road of good quality goes from Östanvik in the north to Bunkvik in the south, about 5 km., with by-roads to Solvik, Sand, Tjusvik and Västerby.
There is a bike friendly forest road from Nämdö Böte to Östanvik, and plenty of nice walking trails.
The most usual types of vehicles are ATV's, tractors, mopeds and bicycles.
The northern and western parts of Nämdö tends to be high and woody, while the eastern and souther parts are lighter and lower.
The inner parts are completely unexploited. Most houses are on the eastern side. There are two lakes; Storträsket and Västerbyträsk.
The flora is tinged by the lime-rich ground. You can find several rare species like "stenkrassing", "murruta" and 17 species of orchids.
Due to the active farming with grazing animals there are also fine grazing lands with ”mandelblom, kattfot och blå viol" (a stanza from an Evert Taube song).
In the woods you can meet elks, roe deer, foxes and badgers, but most of all it will be hard to avoid the numerous fallow deers, who have spread from Rågskär in the 1960's (imported for hunting-game reasons). Common buzzard och osprey breeds on Nämdö, and the sea eagle often take turns from close-by bird-preserve areas.
Nämdö is mentioned in text as early as in the 1200's, in king Valdemar Seirs sailing description along the swedish coast to Reval in Estland. The island was likely inhabited even earlier, although secure ancient remains are missing.
In the 1500's there weere eight registered farmers in Vesterby, Vestanvich, Longvich, Rörstrand and on Mörtö. Östanvik was the largest farm, governing many of the other homesteads.
In the summer of 1719 almost all of Nämdö was burnt down by the russians. The old Östanviks farm were then located at the German parish summercamp, but was rebuilt further south. Still today you can see the old houses from the 1700's, and the garden and the avenue. The farming of today is conducted from the new Östanviks Farm, built in the early 1900's, close to the jetty of Östanvik.
The population of Nämdö peaked in the 1870's with 321 people in the parish. Today we have around 100 permanent citizens all year, and in the summer several thousands. In the beginning of the 1960's, the city of Stockholm bought large parts of Nämdö and Uvö. Today these areas are owned by the Skärgårdsstiftelsen.
Click on this link för an interactive map with information, sights and pictures from many locations.
Also jettys and the tours of Waxholmsbolagets are described.
11 Apr 2019
by Lars Fredrik Larsson